Last updated on August 2, 2020
I am one of THOSE people…I must have a straw when drinking. Anyone else? Drinking straws have gotten a bad rap lately because, until recently, the only option was plastic. According to market research firms, Americans use about 350 million plastic straws every single day. Plastic straws are not biodegradable and are too lightweight to be recycled. They are one of the top 10 things found during “clean-ups,” and thus, it is no surprise that straws end up in our oceans. This has detrimental effects to our marine life. “It is projected that by 2050, 99% of all sea bird species will have ingested plastic. The mortality rate can be ‘up to’ 50%. And, already, research has shown plastic present in sea salt, 94% of U.S. tap water, and shellfish (strawlessocean.org).” So, for those of us who love our straws, what is there an alternative? Using glass straws for drinking is much safer, both for you and our environment! These unique straws also make great gifts, especially when sticking out of a stocking. No need to even wrap!
Benefits of Using a Glass Straw for Drinking
- Environmentally Friendly (for all the reasons mentioned above)
- Re-usability = $$ Saver
- Does not compromise taste
- Easy to Clean/Maintain
- Fun & Unique
My Recommendation for Glass Drinking Straws
There are a few options for purchasing glass drinking straws, but I wholeheartedly endorse Strawesome! This family-owned and operated company has been making glass straws since 2009. I have been a Strawesome customer for the last 5-6 years, and I have no complaints. Here are a few reasons why I feel these straws and this company are your go-to for glass straws:
- Straws are designed and hand-made in the USA by the Surowiec family.
- Borosilicate glass is used to make all straws. It is the strongest commercially available glass. This means the straws are
- BPA-Free, Lead-Free and Toxin-Free (confirmed by 3rd party lab).
- more durable and less prone to breaking. (see # 5)
- colored straws retain their brilliance.
- microwave, oven, freezer, and dishwasher safe (to melt borosilicate glass, it has to be heated to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit)!
- You will find all diameters, lengths, colors, and fun designs on Strawesome.
- And y’all know I love companies that give back – be sure to check out the “Straws for a Cause” section where you can support everything from sea conservation to rehabilitating survivors of human trafficking.
- 30-day Return/Exchange Policy
- You can return any item for a full refund (minus shipping costs) or exchange your items within 30-days from the date of purchase, except for custom orders or items marked as clearance or final sale.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY
- If your straw does accidentally break, you may request a replacement straw! You do not have to send back the broken straw, but they do ask that you take a picture of the damaged item IF possible (don’t cut yourself doing so).
- Within 3 business days, they email you an electronic coupon code worth the retail price of the broken product. You can use the coupon to order any replacement product you choose. Taxes and shipping not included.
- If your straw has been discontinued or was a custom order, they will even do their best to replicate the damaged product for replacement!
So, for all my straw-users out there, do a favor for yourself and the environment and switch to Strawsome glass straws for drinking. They are fun, reusable, NON-TOXIC, eco-friendly, and they make a great gift! 🎄 I’ve pictured a few of my favorites, but there are so many to choose from. Click HERE to browse all the options.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make purchases through these links, I make a small commission. However, there is no additional cost to you! These commissions allow me to continue to research and present less toxic alternatives for the health of you and your family. I appreciate your support!